Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Metaphysical Lesson of Difficult People

Do you have people in your life who drive you crazy. We have those "difficult" people, or people who are always negative, or people who just bring you down.

Metaphysically speaking, these people are out-projections of your own unconscious mind. We create the "difficulty" as a way to expose our subconscious programs.

Let's say that I have a relative whose addiction to alcohol bothers me. Why does it bother me? I might create all kinds of rationalizations about how his alcoholism is affecting me. The truth is that it can only affect me to the extent that I allow it. There's something else going on here.

Usually the things that bother us the most are reflections of our own inner state. Perhaps I have other addictions - to food, sex, or television. The relative's alcoholism is an out-projection of something I am uncomfortable with in myself. It reminds me of something that is a threat to my self esteem. This is why it bothers me so much.

Think of something that people do or say that bothers you. Consider, at least for a moment, how that reflects on you, how that may be a projection of something you don't like about yourself.

Self examination will help you get clear of your aversions, and speed you on the path to freedom.